HMRC Tax – Inland Revenue – 0300 200 3310

Call the HMRC’s tax helpline directly on 0300 200 3310, or call 0345 300 3900 for tax credit enquiries. Both of these numbers are charged at standard rate, and are compatible with inclusive minutes allowances.

The Inland Revenue used to be the taxation department of the UK government. They operated until 2005 the office merged with HM Customs and Excise to form the current HMRC, which stands for Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs. The functions of the two former distinct departments are now joined together in the all-encompassing HMRC office to collect tax contributions from individual UK residents as well as customs and excise duties from registered companies doing business in the country. HM Revenue and Customs is also the governmental body responsible for the disbursement of the Child Benefit payments as well as the enforcement of employee minimum wage.

If you want to contact Inland Revenue, then you should contact HMRC. Remember that the current HMRC contact number is also the phone number for the former Inland Revenue office due to the merger.

The HMRC operates in departments so you will be assisted faster if you contact the division responsible for your specific concern directly using the appropriate phone number below:


Inland Revenue HMRC Self Assessment – 0300 200 3310

Self Assessment enquiries – Contact Inland Revenue (now known as HMRC) on 0300 200 3310 by telephone, 0300 200 3319 via textphone and minicom devices and +44 161 931 9070 if you’re calling from abroad. Please note that calls from overseas will be charged at a higher rate than the equivalent UK-only call.

You can also post your queries and complaints about Self Assessment to Inland Revenue by use of their UK postal address:

Self Assessment,
HM Revenue and Customs,
BX9 1AS,
United Kingdom.


Tax Credits – 0345 300 3900

Tax Credits are handled on a dedicated telephone number 0345 300 3900, you can also dial 0345 300 3909 via textphone if you suffer from hearing difficulties and +44 2890 538 192 if you’re calling from abroad.

You can contact Inland Revenue on this phone number if you want to know who your dependents are or if you want to know when or how much the next payment will be.

You can also contact them by post at the following addresses, remember to indicate the nature of your letter at the beginning accordingly:


Tax Credit renewal forms:
HM Revenue and Customs – Tax Credit Office,
Comben House,
Farriers Way,
L75 1AX,
United Kingdom.
New Tax Credit applications:
HM Revenue and Customs – Tax Credit Office,
L75 1AZ,
United Kingdom.
Complaints and changes in personal circumstances:
HM Revenue and Customs – Tax Credit Office,
PR1 4AT,
United Kingdom.


Child Benefit queries – 0300 200 3100

Contact the Child Benefit department at HMRC (Inland Revenue) on their official contact number 0300 200 3100, 0300 200 3103 via Minicom handsets and by dialling +44 161 210 3086 if you are calling from abroad.

You can also write to them at:

HM Revenue and Customs – Child Benefit Office,
PO Box 1,
Newcastle Upon Tyne,
NE88 1AA,
United Kingdom.


Income Tax – 0300 200 3300

Phone the Income Tax office at Inland Revenue by dialling 0300 200 3300 by telephone, their textphone contact number 0300 200 3319 if you are hard of hearing and by +44 135 535 9022 if you are abroad. If you think that there’s a mistake on your taxcode, you can also use the appropriate PAYE Coding Notice query form found here:

You can also write to them at:

Pay As You Earn (PAYE) Income Tax,
HM Revenue and Customs,
BX9 1AS,
United Kingdom.


National Insurance – 0300 200 3500

If you have any query about your National Insurance contributions phone 0300 200 3500 by telephone, 0300 200 3519 via textphone and +44 191 203 7010 if you are overseas.

You can also use this postal address for written enquiries:

National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office,
HM Revenue and Customs,
BX9 1AN,
United Kingdom.


Employer Tax – 0300 200 3200

For enquiries relating to tax for employers contact HMRC by calling 0300 200 3200 by phone and 0300 200 3212 by textphone devices. You can also fax relevant documents to them by dialling 0191 285 4332 on your telecopying device.

You can also send your queries in post by writing to:

National Insurance Contributions and Employers Office,
HM Revenue and Customs,
BX9 1BX,
United Kingdom.


VAT queries – 0300 200 3700

To confirm how much VAT you will have to pay on items sold please phone Inland Revenue on 0300 200 3700 by telephone, 0300 200 3719 via textphone and +44 2920 501 261 abroad.

You can also use their online enquiry form at or send your written enquiries in the post by using this address:

HM Revenue and Customs – VAT Written Enquiries Team,
Alexander House,
21 Victoria Avenue,
SS99 1BD,
United Kingdom.


Construction Industry Scheme queries – 0300 200 3210

Contact HMRC by calling their UK telephone number 0300 200 3210 to discuss the Construction Industry Scheme, you can also contact them on 0300 200 3219 via textphone and +44 161 930 8706 if you are calling from outside the country.


Problems using the HMRC Website

If you are having technical difficulties using the HMRC you can email Inland Revenue by using their email address, be sure to use the appropriate subject line from the list below to expedite your request:

Enquiries about Corporation Tax
Enquiries about Pay as you Earn (PAYE) contributions
Pension Scheme difficulties
Stamp Tax support
Other services offered by the HMRC online service

Contact Inland Revenue, which is now known as HMRC by calling their telephone contact number 0300 200 3600, 0300 200 3603 via textphone and +44 161 930 8445 if you are calling from overseas.