Housing Benefit Contact Number: 0800 055 6688

Phone Jobcentre Plus about Housing Benefit by calling their freephone contact number 0800 055 6688 to make a new claim, to check your eligibility and to report a change in your circumstances which may affect your payments.

If you are a UK resident and are having trouble keeping up with your rent expenses then you can make use of the Housing Benefit system to offset these expenses. Having a shelter is a vital part of maintaining one’s health thus the UK government provides support payments to help constituents live in a comfortable property even when they are experiencing financial troubles at the time.

If you’re already claiming other benefit payments from Jobcentre Plus such Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support or Jobseeker’s Allowance then you need to contact them on their UK freephone number 0800 055 6688 by telephone to inform them that you are applying for Housing Benefit. Alternatively if you suffer from hearing difficulties or a speech impediment you can dial their dedicated textphone number 0800 023 4888 which is also free of charge. Jobcentre Plus will then send the necessary details and documents pertaining to your particular Housing Benefit claim to your local council. If you’re a council tenant then the housing benefit will be paid directly to them, alternatively if you’re a private tenant the housing benefit will be paid into your building society or bank current account of choice.

If you want to appeal a decision regarding your Housing Benefit application, for example your payments have been cut then you need to contact the local council directly. You can do so by filling out an appropriate complaints form on their UK website: gov.uk/appeal-housing-benefit-decision.


Universal Credit enquiries – 0345 600 0723

Contact the Universal Credit division on their UK phone number 0345 600 0723 if you’re claiming this benefit as you can’t claim Housing Benefit whilst receiving Universal Credit payments. Therefore if you require assistance with your rent whilst on Universal Credit you should call this helpline to notify them of your financial difficulties as they may be able to increase the amount of money you receive.


Pension Housing Benefit – 0800 99 1234

If you are also a UK claimant of a state pension then contact the Housing Benefit office on their freephone number 0800 99 1234 to inform them of changes to your rent which may affect your benefits. They will subsequently send the necessary documents to your local council who will then determine whether your payments need adjusting. Alternatively if you are deaf or suffer from a speech impediment you can contact the pensions department by entering their textphone number 0800 169 0133 into your minicom device.


Housing Benefit websites

You can be eligible for a Housing Benefit whether you’re employed or not. You can make use of the benefits calculator found here: www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator. This websites will tell you how much rent support you are eligible to receive under this benefit system. Please remember to enter your details correctly so that you can get an accurate estimate of your monthly payments so that you can budget accordingly.

If you’re living in a caravan site, houseboat, boarding home, hostel or a property protected by the Rent Act then you should contact the local council in your area. Find them using the locator service provided on the UK government website www.gov.uk/find-local-council.